Sunday, March 21, 2010

naked suit

I remember walking around the Central Saint Martin's Graduate Collection a few years ago when my dream was to attend CSM and later become a famous fashion designer [the latter dream has melted away somewhat since then but the first became true as I was accepted the next year for a foundation course there] I remember one student in particular, not by name but for her naked body print catsuit. I still have her business card [with the same print on] that I picked up on my visit, now stowed away in my "box of things I keep and can't/won't throw away", a memory box if you will.
This is the work of Olivia Rubin, who's work I reacquainted with after finding her signature brick prints featuring heavily in the AW09 collection. See here.

Another student exhibiting in the room this year was Christopher Kane. I can't recall CK's stand so much, though I do remember vividly his page in the catalog, he had a picture of his "Vogue" necklace. [I searched through most of my back issues of vogues from the era in search of an image I recall of him wearing it, unfortunately with no joy. I did however find an article in the December 06 issue where it describes the necklace accompanied with a photograph by David Baily- you can see it vaguely through the gap in his denim Jacket]

detail from photo by David Baily for Vogue, Dec 06