Tuesday, June 8, 2010

University of Brighton graduate fashion show

Saturday evening saw the University of Brighton Graduate fashion show. Having been invited the "Industry show" [super exciting!], I unfortunately unable to see full collections from the textile designers including Daisy Newman and Seana Italia Redmond. However I did get to see collections from:

The almighty Julius Quinn Arther. Having seen the collection previously via shots from the fashion shoot, it was very exciting to see them in motion, like spotting a famous person you love as you walk down the street. Styled to the nines, the collection looked stunning.

Caitlin Price's collection for me was one of my favourites, her designs conveyed a beautiful contrast of functional coats and jacket with luxurious long jersey and silk skirts:
Caitlin also won the best catwalk collection. Snaps to her!

Bradley Dykes' collection for me was a big surprise, not his ability of course, I always knew he would produce something super cool and amazing [and in jersey], just adorning boys not girls. His prints were generated by taking stills from videos he made on his mobile and blowing them up before digitally printing them....

My favourite garm:

Hannah Louise Moores draws nice pictures, very nice pictures, some of these pictures have been transferred onto the garments in her collection. As I hate to admit it,[as a previous student of printed textiles for fashion] I don't wear print. I don't generally get excited by it, but this [especially the first look] I do. And the garms are pretty cool too.....

Mercedes Williams created collection which appeared to be collaged and cut up with great contrast in fabrics and shapes.....
check out the toggles on this baby!

Rachel Poulter's striking collection channels structural and architectural surface manipulation in forming shapes which cocoon the body, suggesting a protective nature to the garments.

Well done graduates, you did good!