Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Throwing away Manolos



Yesterday's evening standard was a welcome read as the incompetent overground system failed to get me home anywhere near a decent hour.
One article left me shocked and in disbelief when describing how outside a "top department store on 5th avenue she spotted a crowd of well-heeled women rifling through rubbish bags. She was told that the staff were routinely throwing out designer outfits. In one of the bags she found a pair of snake skin Manolo Blahnik pumps that had been slashed with a razor. How carrie bradshaw would have wept." And so did I! This was an example of how brands dispose of their clothes which were past their sell by date, and rather than discounting the goods and devaluing the brand they would rather destroy them to preserve the high end image. All I could help thinking was, I want to find the bins that these items are hidden within. It would be like discovering the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.